Monday, July 21, 2008

Another weekend

Another weekend came and went. On Friday night, I flew up to Boise, Idaho for the Wells Fargo Twilight Criterium. This is one of my favorite bike races. It is a national race and alot of the top pro teams show up for it. 15,000+ people line the course in Downtown Boise. We race for a fair amount of money and then all the bike racers hit the bars. For a guy who is usually in bed at 10pm, the night is a bit of a shock to the system. The race starts at 8:30pm and finishes around 10:00pm. With an 33+mph average for 90 minutes the body is wide awake for quite awhile after wards. So we all hit the bar. I was the old guy in the crowd and bailed a little after 2am. The younger racers decided to stay up until their flights left around 6am. I finished a disappointing 24th in the race and only made $100. It was a bit of a bummer, but still a good time.
The family met me at the airport at 9am in SLC and we headed to the Blue Plate Diner (see earlier post)for breakfast and then to the zoo. The Drive In's, Diners and Dive episode featuring the Blue Plate just happened to be on the Food Network last night.
Dekker and Colleen went to the pool. Haydenne and I took an afternoon nap. I needed it!

One cool thing to report, concerning the high gas prices. I've been commuting to work on my bike almost every morning and I just missed going a month on 1 tank of gas. I made it 28 days without having to go to the gas station. Felt pretty good.

No comments: